Re: Master's Degree in Sponsored Programs Kim Caroline 17 Oct 2003 09:34 EST

But then, of course salaries for positions in Sponsored Programs would
have to increase to attract MBAs and others with advanced degrees and it
has been my observation (and experience) that most schools are reluctant
to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Rhodes, Kris E
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 10:06 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Master's Degree in Sponsored Programs

More thoughts on a day when I don't even have time to think....

I think academic degrees do represent a general understanding of subject
matter, but more than subject matter, academic degrees are measure of
one's stick-to-itness and ability to work within a structured
environment.  And of course in a university environment surface respect
is divvied out based on who-has accomplished "what I have", so PhD's
rule; J.D.'s also receive special consideration in our field.  Long-term
respect is dependent not upon degrees, but one ability to accurately
analyze and respond to situations, with follow through being the final
component.

And I should have thought a little broader yesterday on standardized
degrees, but the JD and the MBA are also provide some of the tools that
will assist someone in excelling in this field.

When it comes to technical understanding, assessment, and application of
topics relevant to research administration, one of THE sharpest and most
thorough people I have worked has a Bachelor's degree; this is a person
who has completely earned the respect (and at time annoyance) of
faculty.  This person has Master degreed staff and JD's under her
supervision.

Some of the assessment of what degrees does a person have in research
administration, has to do with what where the choices a person made
along the way.  For example in my case a Ph.D. is in my long range
plans, but pursuit of another degree would mean committing less energy
to my office and my profession and this is not a choice I want to make
at this time, I hope to at some point to have my shop in such an
even-keeled state that boredom propels me on to pursuit of the degree.
Still the actual battle experience will drive individual competence.

I too would like Pattons and Rommels under my command, but Einstein's
work was much more efficient ...... I respect the talent individuals
bring to the table and talent comes in many different packages.

On the Masters in Sponsored Project Administration, there is some
question as to whether such a degree would universally generate the same
level of respect as a Masters in an established field and would it be a
cost effective program for an academic institution.

Kris

Kris E. Rhodes, MS CRA
Associate Director
Office of Sponsored Programs