Re: Master's Degree in Sponsored Programs Rhodes, Kris E 16 Oct 2003 18:05 EST

Hi Carolyn - I'll be at SRA this year, will I by chance see you there?

I am unaware of any Master's Degrees that have a significant focus on
sponsored projects administration. Higher education administration is
probably the closest customizable degree to fit the activities
associated with leadership in sponsored projects administration.  Public
administration is probably the next best fit.

SRA has discussed options for the collaborative development of such a
program, but I don't think significant progress has been made on program
creation.   There are training programs to assist individuals in
mastering the skills associated with sponsored projects administration,
SRA has the Department Administrator certification and passage of the
CRA (Certified Research Administrator) exam is one measure of expertise
in the field.  NCURA has the SPA II and FRA session which tend to focus
on advanced topics in the field.  There are also a couple for-profit
organization that also provide training.

Being a CRA I'm biased, but I think the CRA is probably the best
testament to skill in the field at this time, the next best would be an
individual's experiences.

Hope all is well in Texas!

Kris

Kris E. Rhodes, MS CRA