Re: NIH NRSA Grants Herbert B. Chermside 29 Sep 2003 14:50 EST

VCU is a state university, and faced with the same problem.  Historically
the same problem applied to post-doc employees, too, due to the way they
were employed.  Over 22 years ago the post-docs, both fellows and
employees, with assistance of administration, created a "group" for getting
health insurance.  That group now has some assistance from the VP-Research
office in administration of the group.  The cost of that health insurance
IS an allowable cost for members of the group.

Chuck

At 11:22 AM 9/29/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>I am hoping to obtain information relating to how other Universities treat
>NIH postdoctoral trainees. Under the restrictions of the NIH National
>Research Service Award program guidelines, trainees may not have an
>employee/employer relationship with their respective University.  Without
>an employee status with our University, we are finding it impossible to
>provide health insurance benefits to these individuals through our group
>policies covering University employees.  I would appreciate any feedback
>on policies in existence at other Universities as to how a NIH
>postdoctoral trainee is treated within your respective system.
>
>Lynn Johnson
>
>Director, Sponsored Programs
>
>Colorado State University
>
>Ft. Collins, CO  80523-2002