Re: Allocating cost for on- versus off- campus F&A rate Chris Cox 29 Sep 2003 12:44 EST

Our calculation of on- and off-campus F&A is tied strictly to the salaries
of University employees.  If 50% or more of the value of University
salaries is for effort expended on-campus, then the project carries the
on-campus rate.   If 51% or more of the value of University salaries is for
effort expended off-campus, then the project carries the off-campus
rate.  Our assumption is that all project costs are directly proportional
to where University salaries are expended.

At 12:23 PM 9/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>We are re-evaluating how we apportion costs and calculate whether an on- or
>off- campus rate should apply to an application.  The F&A agreement simply
>states that more than 50% mtdc base must be off-campus.
>
>Historically, we have simply taken the MTDC, generally assumed that
>consultant and subgrantee funds (first 25K) would be off-campus and then
>apportioned the remainder of the budget, calculated the 50% and see where we
>ended up.
>
>The following change has been suggested.  All consultant and subgrantee
>costs (including the first 25K) should be removed from the MTDC base BEFORE
>we apportion the costs to on- or off- campus.  This would be a very
>different model than we've used and would dramatically reduce who would
>qualify for and off-campus rate.
>
>Can you share how you handle this calculation and also what you think of the
>alternative method proposed?  Thanks in advance.
>

>Maryellen O'Brien
>Assistant Director
>Grant and Contract Administration
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Rutgers University
>Cook College
>88 Lipman Drive, Room 125
>New Brunswick, NJ  08901