Re: signature authority Herbert B. Chermside 12 Sep 2003 11:32 EST

I agree the sign off should be as low and simple as possible.  However, the
official committing the institution (i.e., accepting awards whether grant
or contractual) should have an internal approval where academic managers
approve, for various reasons.  My internal approval has the following "fine
print" above the signoffs:

"We, the undersigned, do certify to the best of our knowledge and behalf
that 1) the designated faculty will be released for the effort indicated;
2) personnel costs are correctly estimated; 3) adequate and suitable space
is/will be provided for completion of the above noted project; 4) we comply
with the Debarment Statement and the Conflict of Interests Statement as
defined in the Instructions to this form; and 5) this project is consistent
with the educational and research objectives of the University."

I am responsible for the agreement.  I am expert in rules, regs, contract
language.  I am NOT expert in other matters, so I get academic management
to take responsibility for those matters.  Whoever signs to bind the
institution a) needs legal authority to do so, and b) needs an academic
management CYA for matters not under his/her control.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568