Re: NCHRP grant program Rhodes, Kris E 12 Sep 2003 10:22 EST

I would submit the proposal with a cover letter taking exception to the
liability language and request an opportunity to negotiated language
which will be acceptable to both parties prior to issuance of the award.
I would indicate in the letter the basis for the objection - e.g. The
University is prohibited by state law (citation is appropriate) from
entering into agreements to indemnify or hold harmless other parties -
or the basis for the objection to the language.

Kris
Kris E. Rhodes, MS CRA
Associate Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Kentucky
213 Kinkead Hall
Lexington, KY 40506
Phone:  859-257-4826; Fax 859-323-1060

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Laura Farnham [mailto:xxxxxx@MAIL.UNOMAHA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 10:45 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NCHRP grant program

Dear Friends!
We are in the process of preparing a proposal to the Transportation
Research Board, National Research Council for the National Cooperative
Highway Research Program.  The guidelines require that we sign a
Liability Statement.  The guidelines state that, "Responses submitted
without this executed and unaltered statement by the response deadline
will be summarily rejected."  We have some problems with the language in
the Liability Statement and believe most, if not all universities, would
as well.  Has anyone submitted a proposal to this program, and have you
had any luck "negotiating" changes to the required statement?
Unfortunately, the deadline is fast approaching, so a quick response
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,! Mary Laura Farnham

Mary Laura Farnham, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
University of Nebraska at Omaha
EAB 202
6001 Dodge Street
Omaha, Nebraska  68182-0210