Re: F&A with Non-Profits Herbert B. Chermside 10 Sep 2003 08:15 EST

Our policy is to consider waiving F&A for a non-profit with a published
limit or refusal to pay; for most known foundations, voluntary health
organizations, etc. we do agree to waive.  If there is not a published
policy, we decide on a case-by-case basis, and with reluctance.  We do
require PI to specifically request each waiver, and get departmental and
dean approval for the request.  This serves the dual purpose of documenting
why for each waiver, and bringing clearly to academic management's
attention each request.

In the case that a foundation is procuring our services, as opposed to
funding a grant to support our faculty's research or instructional efforts
(no matter what they name the agreement!), we do not waive F&A.  That is
part of the full cost of the project.

Chuck

At 08:42 AM 9/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone please offer comments on how you treat F&A recovery with
>non-profit organizations where they do not have an established policy
>regarding non-payment of F&A.  We are getting some "just in time" letters
>declining to pay F&A, rather than established written policies.  Does
>anyone possibly use a reduced rate with these type organizations?  Any
>comments appreciated.
>
>Michael Strickland, CRA
>Sr. Sponsored Programs Administrator
>Clemson University