Re: virus - please check your computer Jean M. Murphy 08 Sep 2003 09:21 EST

The program jdbgmgr.exe is not a virus but an legitimate program called
Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java.  It comes as a usual part of the
Microsoft windows system.  Most people don't use it much as it relates to
Java, so deleting it from your computer will probably not have much of an
effect.  But this is a hoax to get people to e-mail everyone in their
address book and jam up the internet that way.  Do a google search on
jdbgmgr.exe and you will see plenty of sites with information on this hoax.
Jean

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG> writes:
>Unfortunately, a virus has been passed on to me by a contact. My address
>book was infected. Since you are in my address book, there is a good
>chance you will find it in your computer. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe)
>is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus systems. The virus sits
>quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically
>by messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to
>your contacts. Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of
>it.
>
>1. Go to Start, Find or search option.
>2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
>3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other
>drives you may have.
>4. Click "find now''
>5. The virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
>IT!
>6. Go to edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the
>file without opening it.
>7. Now go to file (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go
>to the Recycle Bin.
>8. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
>BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT FROM THEIR ADDRESS BOOK.
>
>To do this:
>a) Open a new e-mail message
>b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
>c) Highlight every name and add to ''bcc" (which means to blind copy)
>d) Copy this message and paste to e-mail

Jean M. Murphy
Director of Pre-Award Services
Wellesley Centers for Women
http://www.wcwonline.org
E-mail:  xxxxxx@wellesley.edu      Phone:  781-283-2508     Fax:
781-283-2504

Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA  02481