Re: Repost - Changing F&A (On to Off Campus) during Pr oject Year? Kane, Susan E. 27 Aug 2003 18:56 EST

It seems like this is a question that is best answered by NSF.  I'd start
with the program office or fiscal agent there.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Gray [mailto:xxxxxx@COFC.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 8:39 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Repost - Changing F&A (On to Off Campus) during Project
Year?

I haven't received any replies to this query--can someone please help me
out? Thanks!

********

We are about to begin year 2 of a three-year NSF project.  Sometime during
Year 2 (exact date not yet determined), the PI will move her lab from our
campus to a research facility owned by the feds and shared by several
federal and state agencies and IHEs.  When we applied for the grant, we used
our on-campus F&A rate.  (We do have a separate substantially lower
off-campus rate, which we are now applying to proposals for projects that we
know will be housed in the shared
facility.)

When, if at all, should we begin applying the off-campus rate the current
NSF grant--at the beginning of the Year 2 budget period in anticipation of
the move; mid-budget year when the physical move actually takes place; at
the beginning of the next budget year after the move (beginning of Year 3);
or should we not change the rate at all for the duration of the project
period?

If we do change from the on-campus to the off-campus rate during the project
period, is it necessary or advisable to set up a new grant account for the
remaining portion of the project?

Thanks!
Barbara

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/