Re: Reporting Grant/Contract Activity to your Board Betty Farbman 27 Aug 2003 10:49 EST

Brian:
Thanks for raising this.  I'd love to know how folks deal with this.  So many things affect not only the submission of proposals, but also the funding cycles.

For instance - this year, we were expecting a multi-million dollar award prior to the end of our fiscal year, which would have made this year look great.  Because of the delays with fed. funding, the award came  in the next FY.  Only a verbal explanation can begin to clarify the "trough" that this can create on a graph.

I look forward to responses.

Betty Farbman

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Anderson [mailto:xxxxxx@EMICH.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 11:33 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Reporting Grant/Contract Activity to your Board

I have been invited by our Board of Regents to propose a revised format for
my regularly scheduled reports to the Board on grant/contract activity.  I
have come up with a format that I feel comfortable with and that tells them
what they really need to know. I'm ready to go with it.

Previously, our report provided raw data for proposal numbers, and grant
numbers & dollars year-to-date.  Comparisons were reported against the
previous year and against an "annual plan" (which was developed within my
office).  I have proposed to eliminate the "plan" and provide some detailed
but MEANINGFUL comparative data against the two previous years, instead.  I
do not feel that holding my office accountable to a plan makes much sense,
since I have no managerial control over those who write proposals and
because there is no way to get buy-in from those who do have managerial
control.

This recommendation will be a tough sell to the Board, because reported
progress toward its achievement has always given them something to get
excited about.

My questions:  Of those of you who are required to provide progress
reporting to your Board, what type of information do you report?  Do you
report information on numerical goals and goal achievement?

Thanks!

Brian Anderson, Director
Office of Research Development
Eastern Michigan University