Re: Funding Continuity Brian Anderson 14 Aug 2003 10:27 EST

Bill,

At Eastern Michigan University, we have the authority to open a pre-award
account to handle such cases.  The following is from our policy statement
regarding Grants & Contracts Roles, Responsibilities, & Procedures:

Issuing a Pre-Award Account

Principal Investigators may have legitimate reasons for needing pre-award or
³hardship² accounts, to begin work in advance of a signed agreement.  These
costs put the University at risk in the event that sponsored agreements are
not finalized, or the sponsor declines to pay the costs.  This policy
outlines internal controls and procedures that ensure accountability for the
funds and compliance with sponsor regulations.

ORD Responsibility

ORD recommends the creation of a pre-award account only if each of the
following conditions are met:

·      Written documentation from the sponsor that funding has been
recommended and the award document is being processed

·      Confirmation from the sponsor that the pre-award period will fall
within the overall grant period

·      Confirmation from the sponsor that the pre-award costs will be
reimbursed upon finalization of an award

·      Demonstrated need by the project director to begin work immediately

Pre-Award Time and Spending Limits
A pre-award shall be established for a period not to exceed 60 days.
Pre-award budgets shall not exceed a pro-rated share of the annual budget.

Pre-Award Authorization
Authorization for the establishment of a pre-award shall require the
signatures of the PI, unit head, and the director of ORD. Any exception to
the pre-award time and spending limit requires the signature of the provost.

Responsibility for Pre-Award Costs
In the event that an award agreement is not ultimately received and the
pre-award costs are determined to be uncollectible, the project costs
incurred will be reimbursed 50/50 by the Office of the Provost and the PI
Unit.

Brian Anderson, Director
Office of Research Development
Eastern Michigan University