Re: Contracting with private industry David R. Fielder 12 Aug 2003 11:50 EST

Ditto re Chuck's advice.

However, there are philosophical (?) issues as well.

I'm always struck with how challenging negotiating what I call "Blue Sky" issues/outcomes can be, particularly if attorneys on retainer are involved (time is money).

However, it also seems to be more difficult to negotiate something once you start to see the end of the rainbow.......

 David

At 12:00 AM -0400 8/12/03, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>Date:    Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:21:08 -0500
>From:    Valrey Kettner <xxxxxx@NDSU.NODAK.EDU>
>Subject: Contracting with private industry
>
>Greetings from NDSU!
>
>We are trying to resume negotiations with a private industry on sponsored
>research agreements/collaborations.  IP was the sticking point last time,
>although a shortfall in funding also played a role.  In our discussions on
>where to go from here so as not to repeat the previous results of our
>negotiations, we talked about trying to eliminate the IP/licensing language
>from the research agreement.  The thought being that we would only deal
>with it at the stage when there is actually something to talk about,
>instead of at the start of a project before we know whether there is
>anything of value.  I know this is not a novel idea, and that other
>institutions have taken this approach.  I'd love to hear from any
>institutions that have done this, and how accepting the private industry
>has been to this arrangement.  You can reply directly to me if you wish.
>
>Thank you in advance for sharing your approach!
>
>Val Kettner
>Assistant Vice President
>Sponsored Programs Administration

Mr. David R. Fielder                    tel: 415.600.1600
Vice President Research         fax: 415.600.1753
Research Institute                 email: xxxxxx@cooper.cpmc.org
California Pacific Medical Center  website: http://www.cpmc.org
2200 Webster Street,  Suite 514
San Francisco, CA 94115