Re: Capitalize vs. Expense GSchmidt 04 Aug 2003 07:52 EST

Debra:

I'll be brave and take a shot at this, but you have to help me out.

Does this special lighting system go outside?  Could it be considered a
part of the Foundation's plant infrastructure?  If so (to either one,
really) it would probably not be a capital item.  F/GASB has some pretty
strange rules when it comes to things like lighting, roads, sidewalks,
etc.  They may become a part of a proximity building if not considered
infrastructure, or could be expensed altogether.

If the lighting is substantial in relation to the entirety of your
plant, it could be capitalized.  If the lighting is exterior in a
physically isolated area of your campus, it may be capitalizable, and
not considered a part of your infrastructure.

Interior lighting may be an addition to the building if it's in a
"general purpose" area.  It could also be a stand-alone cost of
capitalizable equipment if used in an experiment in a relatively
isolated area of the building.

Of course, all this could be moot if it will all be removed at the end
of the project.  Auditors are taking microscopic looks nowadays on
capital leases (a la, Enron).  A21 also requires a Lease-Purchase
analysis if the lease amount is over $500,000.

I would not charge F&A in any event to the lighting.  I might consider
it for the installation, but I could easily be convinced not to.

Greg Schmidt