Re: Fwd: [RESADM-L] Electronic Proposal Approval Thane Peterson 01 Aug 2003 14:21 EST

Celia,

At Iowa State University, we implemented an electronic form and routing
process for grant applications on July 1, 2003.  Our proposal data form is
now completely electronic.  We purchased a commercial software system and
then had it customized to mirror our previous manual  paper process.  We
have a 4 tier approval process.  All investigators involved in the project
must sign the form, followed by all department chairs, directors, etc,
followed by the college level and then by the Vice Provost for Research
office.  Once the form has routed to all these individuals and units, the
form is forwarded to our office (Sponsored Programs Administration), for
final review and approval before it can be submitted to a sponsor.

We feel it is necessary to have the signatures from all 4 levels due to
commitments of match/cost-share, graduate students, space, etc.  If an
award is made, we can't afford to be scrambling for institutional
commitments and hold up the award.

Our process does not include a "time-out" which many common university
electronic forms do. This was asked but not a viable option due to the
large dollars associated with any particular proposal as well as all the
commitments associated with grant applications. The university simply
cannot afford to automatically forward on a proposal if someone has not
responded in a timely manner.  Our system is web-based to insure easy
access for all users whether on- or off-campus, local or national or
international. All investigators, department chairs, directors, deans, and
other institutional officials receive email notifications alerting them
that a proposal that needs their approval.  For departments, centers,
institutes and colleges, there is a work-queue that allows more the one
person to sign the form to keep the proposal moving along.  However, each
investigator identified with the proposal must sign the form, no proxies
allowed.

There is quite a bit more behind what I have briefly explained but you are
heading in the right direction.

Thane

>>Date:         Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:55:26 -0400
>>From: "Gravely, Celia" <xxxxxx@UFL.EDU>
>>Subject: [RESADM-L] Electronic Proposal Approval
>>To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
>>
>>We are prototyping electronic proposal approval processes. I would
>>appreciate you all sharing your methodology if you have this process at your
>>institution.
>>
>>How many levels do you track electronically? We are currently thinking of
>>2-5 required signoffs. Starts at PI, to Department, to Interdisciplinary
>>Center, to  College, to Central office. Seems real involved, can we
>>accomplish with less?
>>
>>Do you have a time limit an approval can sit in an inbox? What if someone is
>>out and not available for review?
>>
>>Thanks, as always, for the intelligence of the group.
>>
>>Celia Gravely
>>
>>UF Bridges Project
>>PO Box 113359
>>201 SE 2nd Avenue, Suite 215
>>Gainesville  FL  32611-3359
>>Phone: 352-316-2485
>>FX:  352-846-2508

Mr. Thane J. Peterson, MPA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Iowa State University
2207 Pearson Hall, Rm 15
Ames, Iowa  50011-2207

515-294-5225