Re: Tracking Funding Sources in a Database Hahn, Janet M 01 Aug 2003 08:30 EST

Eleanor, I recommend deciding what are your purposes of recording the
source of funds.

We record in both ways, as follows.

In reports on awards, we name the source that is our direct grantor,
university x, and say that it is flow-through from the state dept of y
and the US Dept of z.  There is also a summary listing with our annual
report that lists the source of awards and how much money came from each
agency.  There, the prime (federal, in this case) is listed.

Our grant budget accounts are set up so that the first digit indicates
that it is a sponsored project; the second digit indicates the broad
category of sponsor.  The number given to the award in question will
identify it as federally funded.  This is appropriate since the federal
regulations are flowed-down to us. This is useful for budget planners,
financial handlers, and to let auditors know the source.

Janet
********
Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.
Executive Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Grants Management
Radford University
Radford, VA  24142-6926

tel:  540-831-5479
fax:  540-831-6636