Re: Electronic Proposal Approval GSchmidt 31 Jul 2003 20:40 EST

Celia:

I advise my clients to have 3 to 4 approvals per document.  It's hard to
get questionable stuff past 3 people, and any more than 4 and everyone
thinks the next person (or the one preceding them) will check it out
thoroughly.  It usually doesn't happen.

I'd say what you've described is probably appropriate.  All PI's have to
sign their proposals.  That's not a review and approval.  The Dept.
certainly should approve for cohesion to the Dept.'s mission and for
workload.  Also to approve any cost sharing commitments.  I have no idea
who the Interdisciplinary  Center is, but if it includes a review for
human/animal subjects, hazmat, etc., that should be required as well
(obviously).  I'm not too sure what the College's approval brings to the
table other than a rubber stamp.  They can get the same notification
from a report.  Central admin. is pretty big.  If it's you, in
Pre-award, you have to sign it anyway before it goes out.
That's a pretty plain approval process I just described.  What is really
needed is a bit different.

Compliance committees only need to see the protocol - no budget or other
verbiage.  They don't need it and won't understand it.  You may want the
business office (post award) to check the budgets - but we'd be bored
silly with all of the protocol and tech talk.  The Dept. and Res. Admin.
should do a hair-by-hair analysis.

I'd love to see what others are doing on their approvals.  I'd also like
to know how your PeopleSoft implementation is going.  You've just
finished your first year, right?

Greg Schmidt