Re: Tracking Funding Sources in a Database Farnsworth, Franci 31 Jul 2003 14:28 EST

In our database (the only preaward db and we use it for non-financial
postaward reports) we use a convention that records both the prime funding
source and the subcontracting entity:
PRIME (Subcontracting Source).     The only time we don't do this is for
major programs with their own identities and sometimes multiple funding
sources (eg, Vermont EPSCoR or the BRIN-funded program at the University of
Vermont which is known as Vermont Genetics Network).     These programs are
coded as federal (or whatever) funds, but they stand alone as sponsors.

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
Munford House
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753

Tel:  802-443-5889
Fax:  802-443-2081
Email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu
Web:  http://www.middlebury.edu/~grants/

-----Original Message-----
From: Eleanor M. Cicinsky [mailto:xxxxxx@TEMPLE.EDU]
Sent: Thu, July 31, 2003 2:43 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Tracking Funding Sources in a Database

Hi:

We are in a fierce debate about how to record sources of funds and we
are
interested in knowing what other institutions do.

This is the scenario:     We are submitting a proposal to another
University as a Subcontractor who is submitting their Proposal to the
National Science Foundation.     Do you record your submission as being
submitted to 1) GuessWho University:Prime Source: NSF    or  2) NSF
directly.

If you do it as No. 1 do you pick it up as receiving funds from a
Federal Source or from a a different category.

This database is primarily for PreAward Activity.   In a post award
scenario,  the funds would be picked up as coming from a Federal Source.
and the account code would reflect that.    However from a preaward
stand point,  we might want to track whether the faculty are submitted
grants directly to the funding source or via subcontracts or subawards.

Your opinions would be greatly valued.

 Eleanor Cicinsky
 Temple University,   083-45,  406 USB
 1601 N. Broad Street