Re: State funding for technology transfer William Campbell 24 Jul 2003 15:46 EST

Diane, I encourage you to check out WARF (The Wisconsin Alumni Research
Foundation) (http://www.warf.org/index.jsp) and its recent offspring WiSYS
(http://www.wisys.org/).  WARF was founded by the U of Wisconsin 80 years
ago or thereabouts when a UW-Madison researcher discovered that including
Vitamin D in milk prevents rickets.  WARF patents and licenses the
intellectual property of UW-Madison researchers, pumping millions back into
the university's research every year.    (You've supported WARF if you've
ever purchased D-Con or other rat poisons containing warfarin, invented at
Madison and named after WARF.  All of us in Wisconsin thank you.)  WiSys
was started a few years ago to provide the same sorts of services to all
the other UW institutions, including mine.

Note: Wisconsin is unusual in that researchers here own there own
intellectual property, even if its developed on university time and in
university labs.  WARF and WiSys offer to pay for patenting and licensing
expenses in exchange for a share of the proceeds, but researchers have the
option of doing it on their own.

Regards, Bill

At 04:07 PM 07/24/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me about state-run programs which support technology
>transfer in the universities/colleges in their state?  I'd be particularly
>interested to hear from state universities.  You can email me directly if
>you'd like.  Thank you.
>
>Diane Ambrose, Ph.D.
>Acting Director
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Rutgers, The State University
>3 Rutgers Plaza, ASB III
>New Brunswick, NJ  08901
>Ph:  (732) 932-0150 x3019
>Fx:  (732) 932-0161
>xxxxxx@orsp.rutgers.edu

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd St.
River Falls, WI  54022
telephone 715/425-3195; FAX 715/425-3185
xxxxxx@uwrf.edu