Re: Rates for For-profit Sponsors Herbert B. Chermside 10 Jul 2003 11:20 EST

We charge the same as federal -- but we sometimes load in some costs that
we wouldn't put on a federal grant.  As we operate commercial agreements on
a fixed price basis, that's easy to get away with.  In fact, we show the
commercial sponsor a "loaded" budget -- benefits and F&A loaded by budget
category line -- so there is no argument about the matter, particularly
F&A.  It is what they are used to seeing, whereas showing a separate line
for F&A is common only in the government-university field.  See our
"loaded" budgets at
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa_budgpkg.htm#worksheets

Rates are at
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa_fact.htm

Oh, yes!  NO COST SHARING; that would be using public money to support
private profit (we're a state U).

One exception -- some companies, mostly drug companies, will give
"educational grants" to support a small, investigator initiated research
grant which is likely to be a pilot for a federal grant and the company
gets no benefits, so we'll do these without F&A.

Chuck

At 04:10 PM 7/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>The question has arisen whether other universities are charging a higher
>F&A rate than their government-negotiated rate to other sponsors,
>particularly for-profits. I would appreciate knowing if you charge a
>higher rate (or rates)and the basis for the difference. It would be
>helpful to know the rates. I will be happy to summarize responses received
>off-line and post the summary on the list.
>
>Dudley Q. Sharp
>Contracts Officer
>Office for Research and Sponsored Projects Administration  Arizona State
>University
>480-965-0273
>xxxxxx@asu.edu

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA