Re: Two Questions Herbert B. Chermside 10 Jul 2003 08:25 EST

Regarding who may submit a proposal, I suggest the following
1)      Anyone may submit who has appropriate academic management
approval.  At VCU we require two levels, dept and dean (or
equivalent).  This allows submittal by people who have received job offers
but are not on the faculty (and hence our HR recorsds) yet.  This includes
fellowship applications, also.

2)      PI is not only responsible for the conduct of the project, but also
for fiduciary responsibility for proper use of funds.  For this reason,
when we receive an award for a non-employee -- fellowship is best example
-- we assign an employee, e.g., fellow's mentor, responsibility for
managing the account for the project.  In our case, a state U, only an
employee may control state funds, but I recommend you apply the principle
anywhere, because the employer has considerable leverage (including
paycheck!) over an employee.

These are our guidelines for differentiating between a sponsored program
and a gift:
" A sponsored program is an award from an external source (the "sponsor")
for an agreed purpose with sufficient custodial responsibility to warrant
unique administrative accountability. It is established by an agreement,
usually called a grant or a contract, between VCU and the sponsor. It
generally requires that VCU do some or all of the following:

 1. provide a fiscal report subject to audit, which implies formal
liability for VCU
 2. return funds/goods not consumed
 3. perform a defined scope of work
 4. maintain confidentiality of information
 5. submit a detailed report of performance
 6. provide something of value to the sponsor; and
 7. comply with terms/conditions set by the sponsor.

This differs from a gift which has the characteristics that it is
irrevocable, and that VCU has full discretionary control over its use,
though the purpose for which it is used may be specified broadly by the donor."

Chuck

At 04:00 PM 7/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Capital University is a private liberal arts school with 4,000 students.
>We are in the process of establishing a Faculty Grants Office and I am
>seeking feedback on the following questions.  I would like to know the
>viewpoint of other institutions.
>
>1.  Can adjunct faculty submit proposals or are submissions restricted
>to junior or tenured faculty?
>
>2.  How do you differentiate the responsbilities of the grants/sponsored
>research office and the corporate/foundation relations office?
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Susan Stumpp
>Faculty Grants Director
>Capital University