Re: Two Questions Maureen McMahon 09 Jul 2003 06:50 EST

Susan-
My institution last year did the same thing, and I have been in the process
of establishing an Office of Academic Grants here for the past year. We
also have a Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, who reports to
the VP for Advancement. My office is under the VP for Academic Affairs. If
you have any questions, please feel free to email me off list.

1. At Canisius, adjunct faculty are allowed to submit proposals, but I
don't believe any ever has. We do not have titles such as Research
Professor etc. for non-tenure track faculty.

2. The key issue at Canisius is whether it is an institutional grant or a
faculty grant, not the sponsor type. I work with faculty and staff on their
grant proposals whether it is to a government, corporate or foundation
sponsor. The Director of Corporate/Foundation Relations generally focuses
on institutional grants (scholarships, endowments). Of course, it is not
always black and white, but we meet biweekly and go over what we're working
on, which I would highly recommend. Also, the mission of the Office of
Academic Grants is not to raise money but to provide assistance to faculty
in their grant-seeking activities, and to administer sponsored projects.

Hope that helps.
Maureen McMahon

--On Tuesday, July 08, 2003 4:00 PM -0400 Susan Stumpp
<xxxxxx@CAPITAL.EDU> wrote:

> Capital University is a private liberal arts school with 4,000 students.
>  We are in the process of establishing a Faculty Grants Office and I am
> seeking feedback on the following questions.  I would like to know the
> viewpoint of other institutions.
>
> 1.  Can adjunct faculty submit proposals or are submissions restricted
> to junior or tenured faculty?
>
> 2.  How do you differentiate the responsbilities of the grants/sponsored
> research office and the corporate/foundation relations office?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Susan Stumpp
> Faculty Grants Director
> Capital University