Re: Really Quick IDC Question! Moreland, Kim 04 Jul 2003 23:41 EST

Claire,

Thanks for the response.  We've found the same problem that you did.  If the
faculty doesn't have to be responsible for total costs, they don't budget as
carefully.!

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlson, Claire [mailto:xxxxxx@MSO.UMT.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:14 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Really Quick IDC Question!

Kim,

As long as the sponsor allows us to rebudget between direct and indirect, we
use your option #2.  We started doing this about 4 years ago.  To not do so
encourages PIs to overbudget equipment initially, and then rebudget to
categories assessed indirect later as a way to reduce the their IDC burden.

The only time we follow your option #1 is when the sponsor does not allow
rebudgeting between direct and indirect (Commerce is one agency that has
this rule).

Hope this helps.

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research