Re: Clinical Trial Agreements Steinert, Bruce, W 16 Jun 2003 16:03 EST

I think there is some confusion about internal and external
confidentiality. We have not seen this requested level of secrecy in our
studies. Yes, the sponsors do not want their name, or the name of the
drug/device advertised outside the institution. However, that has not
restricted our use of this information internally for regulatory or
oversight purposes.

As to Charlie's issues, Big Pharma has always had the right not to
submit data to FDA if new product didn't work. Adverse events get
reported to the sponsor and the IRB whether or not the data is published
or submitted for licensing. In fact, not reporting adverse events has
resulted in the suspension of research at some very prestigious
institutions. The informed consent form signed by the study subjects has
to be approved by the institution's IRB and clearly state who is
involved (sponsor, investigator, IRB, etc) and how to contact them (it
also lists the study title, drug, proposed treatment indication, and
full study title). Not publishing the existence of the study outside the
institution keeps competitors from knowing the detail of the study. Have
you seen the protocol titles lately? They are practically an abstract.
At my institution, the Confidentiality Disclosure is signed by the CEO
and binds all hospital staff and employees. The sponsor is well aware
that details of the study will be disclosed within the institution (IRB,
compliance, legal affairs, research office, etc) as needed for review
and oversight. So far, that has not been an issue.

Bruce Steinert, PhD, CCRA
The Children's Mercy Hospital
Kansas City, MO