Re: Capitalizing Fabricated Equipment GSchmidt 13 Jun 2003 01:11 EST

Ruth:

A topic near and dear to my heart.  I've argued this in the past.

There was an award for research given to a PI that included budget for a
certain item of equipment.  Unfortunately, it didn't exist at the time.
 The PI decided to build it  himself.  We set up a separate account to
track the costs.  In this account, we budgeted salaries & wages,
benefits, materials, supplies and IDC on all of it.  At the end of
construction, the entire account was capitalized.

There are administrative costs involved in constructing a piece of
equipment just as there is in conducting the research.  These costs are
a legitimate addition to the total cost and should be capitalized just
as we would for any other item of equipment where shipping and handling
and site preparation is involved.  We would capitalize those costs.
 It's no different from an accounting viewpoint.

Greg Schmidt