Re: Grants & Benefits Question Catherine Senghas 15 May 2003 08:58 EST

xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG writes:
>Our HR office here at Seton Hall is looking at benefits to employees
>hired under a grant.  At SHU, these employees get all the same benefits as
>employees hired under a regular University line, including severance pay,
>vacation time, etc..  This also includes payment for vacation time not
>taken
>while under the grant--causing  problems (of course) because the funds
>cannot then be charged back to the grant which has ended.
>      Can anyone advise me as to how this is handled at your institution?

Although we are centers at a college, in our organization all the research
positions are technically soft-money term appointments funded by the
grants, and there is no home "department" where we could otherwise charge
a vacation payout to.  Thus, we too have a "take it or lose it" policy.
The PI has to budget the vacation time with the employee, and in some
cases the easiest way to implement it is for the person to terminate two
weeks (or whatever their accrued time balance is) before the end of the
grant and take a payout then, which is still within the budget both
time-wise and amount-wise.

Catherine Senghas
Deputy Director for Finance & Administration
Wellesley Centers for Women
http://www.wcwonline.org
e-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu
Phone: (781) 283-2517        Fax:  (781) 283-2504
Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA  02481-8203