Re: Using federal funds to subcontract to a federal agency. Herbert B. Chermside 15 May 2003 07:08 EST

Subawards may be made to federal agencies, even from federal funds.
However, in each case the clear understanding and approval of the federal
prime sponsor should be obtained. The mechanisms used may vary. Sometimes
there should be a reduction of the prime award and direct transfer from the
prime to the sub. In others, a CRADA may be the mechanism of choice as it
is a way a federal agency or unit can bring in funds. There may be zero, or
limited, indirects. It takes careful coordination, but usually can be done
by one method or another.

Chuck

At 04:48 PM 5/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I've always understood that one can't issue a subcontract/subaward to a
>federal agency from another federal grant.  I have a PI who is insisting
>that it's done at other universities "all the time" and that as long as the
>contract is not for salary support of the federal employee it's fine.
>
>Can you please point me to a reference or provide guidance that will explain
>this more thoroughly?  Or at least give me some background info to explain
>to her.
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Maryellen O'Brien
>Assistant Director
>Grant and Contract Administration
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Rutgers University
>Cook College
>88 Lipman Drive, Room 125
>New Brunswick, NJ  08901