Re: Grants & Benefits Question Herbert B. Chermside 14 May 2003 15:10 EST

I have faced this problem a couple of places.  There are only to reasonable
solutions:
1)      Require sponsored program-funded personnel to "take leave or loose
it" during the period of the project.  Difficult to manage for persons who
are split funded and only partially on sponsored programs.
2)      Set up a "pool" account and charge for productive hours at a rate
higher than base pay but include adjustment for leave time, so you collect
for leave when working on the project and then can pay it any
time.  ABSOLUTELY MUST have approval of your cognizant auditor, and that's
not easy.  Kind of like Jane's solution.

GOOD LUCK

Chuck

At 02:36 PM 5/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Dear Colleagues:
>
>       Our HR office here at Seton Hall is looking at benefits to
> employees hired under a grant.  At SHU, these employees get all the same
> benefits as employees hired under a regular University line, including
> severance pay, vacation time, etc..  This also includes payment for
> vacation time not taken while under the grant--causing  problems (of
> course) because the funds cannot then be charged back to the grant which
> has ended.
>       Can anyone advise me as to how this is handled at your
> institution?  You could email me back directly, if you prefer, at
> xxxxxx@shu.edu.  I would appreciate any comments and information you
> can share with me.
>         Thank you!
>
>Robert Marius De Martino, Ph.D.
>Director, Office of Grants and Research Services
>Presidents Hall
>Seton Hall University
>South Orange, New Jersey  07079
>
>973-275-2975 (v)