Re: Proposal Narrative Review - Important? Dragoo, M. Heather 07 May 2003 11:39 EST

I agree with what the others have said.  Faculty don't always follow the
directions as closely as they should.  We know that changes will be made
to the narrative, but we do require the most up-to-date draft available.
We check it for compliance issues within the University and with the
guidelines.  If requested, we can review it for coherence and grammar as
well.  The faculty members that take full advantage of our service
almost always benefit from it.  Some do tend to run proposals through at
the last minute which doesn't allow for a very thorough review.  Our SRO
tries to promote our services and required administrative approvals as a
helpful tool for faculty (as well as a requirement--at least the latter
part).  Some faculty members are still resistant to it, but generally
those are the ones waiting until the last minute and are often not
funded.  It's in the best interest of the office to continue to review
the narratives or at very least the abstracts like was suggested.  I
don't think faculty (or at least the majority of them) don't try to
intentionally "fool" you, but sometimes they put something in their
proposals that is not accurate or appropriate without knowing it.

Heather Dragoo
Senior Administrative Assistant
Sponsored Research Office
University of Southern Indiana