Re: NSF Subaward to Foreign Univ. Barnes, Gloria 07 May 2003 11:34 EST

As an institution that recently was audited by the US Inspector Generals'
office of NSF, I would not pay monies up-front.  NSF looked at each
sub-contract and costs on the invoices.  They visited one of our large
sub-recipients at their location. They interviewed the faculty, staff, and
students paid from the NSF grants at our institution and  one of the
sub-recipient locations. They looked at the Time and Effort Certification
reports and visted on-going research projects. This was the most
comprehensive review that we have ever had.

Gloria A. Barnes
Grants Senior Accountant
The University of South Dakota
210 Slagle Grants Accounting
414 E. Clark
Vermillion, SD 57069
phone 605-677-5077
Fax 605-677-5078
xxxxxx@usd.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Myers [mailto:xxxxxx@SIU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:49 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NSF Subaward to Foreign Univ.

Hi all:

We are in the process of subawarding funds from an NSF grant to a
university in Bangladesh (per the proposal).  We have executed foreign
subawards before without any problems.  However, in this case the foreign
university insists on an up-front payment of at least 50% rather than cost
reimbursement.  They say they cannot afford to do their part
otherwise.  Our grant accounting division says we cannot advance funds from
federal awards in this manner, it must be cost reimbursement.  We cannot
find any references to this type of situation in the NSF terms and
conditions or federal circulars.  Thoughts or experience on this
anyone?  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Myers
Southern Illinois University