Re: NSF Subaward to Foreign Univ. RUFFOLO, JOHN 07 May 2003 11:22 EST

Jeff,

Check with NSF. Possibly they will front the money to SIU for you to make
the up-front payment of 50% to the university in Bangladesh (based on the
poverty plea). You didn't mention the dollar amount, but is understandable
that SIU's grant accounting division does not want to risk the prepayment.
If NSF won't/can't do it, then you have a serious problem. It is appropriate
for NSF to assume that collaborating institutions in the proposal can carry
out their roles on the project under the terms of cost reimbursement.

John J. Ruffolo, PhD
South Dakota State University
Assoc. Dean of Research & Sponsored Programs
Phone:  605-688-6696
Fax:  605-688-6167
xxxxxx@sdstate.edu