Re: Proposal Narrative Review - Important? Elaine Young 07 May 2003 11:10 EST

At UMBC we not only review the narrative (mostly the abstract) to see what
is being proposed, where it is being done, the resources available for the
project, and if there are any compliance issues, but we also review the RFA
or whatever document the sponsor issued in the first place.  We have found
that PIs don't always follow instructions very well.

We will approve an application without the narrative (but the abstract is
essential) but require the PI to send us the complete application after it
is mailed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Winona M Landry
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 11:54 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Proposal Narrative Review - Important?

Our faculty members are proposing that OSP forgo reviewing the narrative
section of all proposals.  We believe doing so would pose compliance and
audit risks to the University.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Winona Landry

Winona M. Landry, CRA

Assistant Director
Office of Sponsored Programs