Re: internal funding Paplauskas,Leonard 30 Apr 2003 14:26 EST

At the UCONN Health Center equipment purchased with internal funds belongs to the HC.  If the PI really needs it, then he can "buy" it from us for reasonable market value, unless someone else here needs the equipment badly.  The "purchase" can be in terms of actual cash, or some "in kind" arrangement, i.e., leave behind a piece of equipment purchased with grant funds that is not as necessary to the PI leaving.

One note to consider in these types of arrangements.  Whoever makes the decision should evaluate whether keeping equipment makes any sense to the first institution.  If the PI leaves and no one uses the equipment, then it just takes up valuable space, or is "mothballed" in a couple of years anyway.  Usually these sorts of negotiations turn on esoteric items, not your run of the mill water baths.  Specialized equipment is useful only to a few investigators, and generally goes out of date quickly anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert B. Chermside [mailto:xxxxxx@VCU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 12:16 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] internal funding

ALL equipment at VCU belongs to the University.
If it was bought with sponsored program funds, and the PI moves that
sponsored program with him when he goes elsewhere, we arrange a transfer
(often in the form of indefinite loan) to another institution.
If it was bought with sponsored program funds and the PI moves after that
sponsored program is over, permission to move is part of PI's negotiations
on leaving, and often turns on whether the equipment is important to the
PI's line of research and if others in the department need it.
If it was bought with University funds, it doesn't go (unless the
department is feeling generous and applies the guides above.

Chuck

At 11:33 AM 4/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University