REPLY == Re: [RESADM-L] How to you assess F&A on subcontracts? Steve Bradley 22 Apr 2003 11:20 EST
Ms. Gravely,

1) In compliance with OMB A-21, the University of Minnesota charges our local
F&A rates to the Subcontract total costs, up to the first $25K (regardless of
Subcontract project period).

2) Specifically, A-21 provides that universities may apply rates in the
following manner:
"F&A costs shall be distributed to applicable sponsored agreements and other
benefiting activities within each major function on the basis of modified total
direct costs, consisting of all salaries and wages, fringe benefits, materials
and supplies, services, travel, and subgrants and subcontracts up to the first
$25,000 of each subgrant or subcontract (regardless of the period covered by the
subgrant or subcontract)."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a021/a021.html

Please note that A-21 permits the Subcontract total cost basis, since the total
Subcontract costs become a Direct Cost for universities.

3) As another point, universities incur costs in monitoring/administering
Subcontractor F&A rates in terms of not only the budgeting, billing and payment
processes but also the necessary documentation for OMB A-133 "Subreceipient
Monitoring" purposes (indeed, a laborious task!).

Accordingly, these are allowable university costs that may be reimbursed via F&A
rate application.

Regards,
Steve