Re: PUIs and HIPAA Baumann, John 18 Apr 2003 17:46 EST

UMKC is, under HIPAA a hybrid entity with one covered unit, its school
of dentistry.  From a research perspective, most of our concerns are
regarding reseearch our faculty (non-covered unit)want to conduct what
what may be covered entity.  It appears like this is your situation as
well.  We have done a number of things, including developing an on-line
tutorial to introduce HIPAA to those members of the university that are
determined to be potentially affected by it.  The tutorial will produce
a certificate of completin and is linked to a database that will capture
the names of those who complete it (luckily no HIPAA implications to
this!).  We have established a guest account to allow non UMKC
individuals to review it.

Guests may visit the HIPAA tutorial by using the UserID: hipaaguest and
the Password: guest

Below is the link to the HIPAA web page.
www.umkc.edu/research/HIPAA.html

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road (US Postal Service)
5211 Rockhill Road (Express Delivery)
Kansas City, MO 64110