Re: Fwd: Incremental Workload Accretion Jon Hart 17 Apr 2003 10:09 EST

Chuck,

As I think you mentioned, the Just In Time procedures add a certain
amount of work for us in handling the paper more than once.  Also, now
that the lab animals are Just In Time, we are going to have to look more
carefully at that section of the application and troubleshoot, since the
IACUC will not have looked at it.  We have already been doing this with
human subjects.

It is a struggle to get our investigators to complete the new human
subjects tables and that takes extra time in reviewing those
applications and getting them in sufficient shape to approve.

We have been more involved in compliance than in years before.
Specifically:

Conflict of interest reporting.  Gathering info, forwarding to COI
committee, writing letters to sponsor if COI is found.

Human subjects:  documentation of training for key personnel;
documentation of assurance for subcontractors, IRB approval and training
of their key personnel.  Much time explaining to foreign subcontractors
why they have to get an assurance and helping them to do so.  Reporting
this to sponsor and keeping a database on training.

Animals:  any problems with discrepancies between approved protocols and
grant applications come back to this office as well as being
communicated to the PI from the IACUC.

It seems that, in the absence of a formal compliance office in our
university, Sponsored Programs has become the de facto compliance
office.  It is hard to know exactly how much time we spend on this but
we were able to get an additional person because of the extra workload,
after getting an outside consultant to come in and look at the
situation.

Hope you are well -

Joni.

Jon Elizabeth Hart, MPA, CIP
Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave., NY, NY 10021-6399
tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
email:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu