Re: HIPAA authorization Waivers? Schoen, Alexander 04 Apr 2003 13:54 EST

HIPAA allows a "Privacy Board" to consider requests for waiver of the HIPAA patient authorization requirements for research purposed.  Many institutions will be using the IRB as a privacy board.

You should check the HIPAA regulations (42 CFR 160 and 164) as it relates to this and check with your institution's counsel to see how this should work.

Alexander Schoen
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Winthrop-University Hospital
259 First Street
Mineola, NY  11501

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Watson [mailto:xxxxxx@VALDOSTA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 1:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] HIPAA authorization Waivers?

Okay - what have I missed?  I have been asked (told) to prepare a
waiver to be used by the IRB regarding HIPAA.  I have no idea what I
am doing obviously since I did not think waivers were something we
could use with HIPAA documents.
Help!
Mary H. Watson, Ph.D.
IRB Administrator and Director, Grants and Contracts
Valdosta State University
Phone:  229-333-7837; FAX:  229-245-3853