Re: Sub recipient vs. Vendor Relationship Jon Elizabeth Hart 01 Apr 2003 12:03 EST

Without knowing what the internal agreement says, I would venture that it
would depend on where the salaries are coming from.  Are these people paid
by the university but are conducting the research at the hospital?  Then
probably a vendor relationship is appropriate, with costs of supplies and
tests being reimbursed to the hospital as incurred.  The  NIH won't award
"flow-through" funds to one institution for work to be done at another.  In
my experience, however, they do understand if faculty are getting their
salary through the university but are working full-time at the hospital.
Joni

At 10:43 AM 4/1/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Do any of your organizations fall under the following example?  Your
>organization is a non-profit/private institution in which the faculty that
>submit for funding through your institution are faculty with appointments
>at a state operated higher education hospital.  Because the faculty submit
>through your non-profit/private institution for funding and would
>eventually be classified as the PI if funded, what kind of relationship
>would your organization classify this, Sub recipient or
>Vendor.  Especially if there was already an internal agreement in place
>mutually signed by both parties detailing the relationship between both
>facilities.  It seems to me that the PI would be attempting to sub award
>to themselves and this should be treated as a vendor relationship where
>they invoice us for salary and fringe expenses.  Do you have a ruling from
>NIH one way or the other regarding this?  Please give me your
>thoughts.  Thanks.

Jon Hart, MPA, CIP
Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave.-Box 82, NY, NY 10021-6399
tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
e-mail:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu