Re: Clarification of A21 on salary rates/extra compensation Emmanuel I. Osagie 26 Mar 2003 20:11 EST
I agree with Ruth's interpretation. First, there needs to be an institutional
policy on extra compensation that addresses what, when, and how. Assuming the
work of the faculty in question qualifies as "unusual", then the "separate" test
in this case would mean the extent to which the grant activity is a task defined
over and beyond the normal expectation for his employment. Additionally, the
activity has to be incidental and not routine, and explicitly approved by the
sponsor as work to be performed on an extra compensation basis.