Re: NIH "Human Participants Protection Education for Research Teams" tutorial Daniel S. Rademacher 21 Mar 2003 16:38 EST

Hi Val,

The NIH Notice OD-00-039 states that key personnel involved in human
subjects research must take the tutorial or equivalent before an award is
to be made.  The actual certificates are not required.  In new proposals we
include mention of the training under the human subjects section of the
application (section e of NIH Research Plan).  Other times we have used a
cover letter certifying that all key personnel involved in human subjects
research have received the training.

If your institution uses the tutorial method they will only need to take
the course once.  At the end of the tutorial a certificate is printed and I
keep copies in the grant application file.  Our office also maintains a
master folder of certificates for key personnel on our grants that we
simply copy over certificates when used for new applications.

At one point the was a program announcement providing funds for the
development of short term courses for institutions to develop courses and
later disseminate information (PA-99-051).

Below is a URL for you to show your PI as to the blanket requirement:
http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-00-039.html

The tutorial takes about 45 minutes to an hour to complete.  I actually
took it a few years ago.  The URL for that is below.

http://ohsr.od.nih.gov/extramural/extramural_training.html

I hope this helps.

Dan

At 02:22 PM 3/21/2003 -0600, Valerie Seaquist wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>We have very few NIH proposals/awards so it is usually "first time/every
>time" for me when we do. It is my understanding that a PI proposing a
>project requiring use of human subjects must take the NIH on-line tutorial
>on this subject and send a copy of the resulting certificate with his/her
>proposal. (This is in addition to our internal human subjects board
>review/approval.) My PI can't find this requirement in his particular
>announcement so is questioning if he has to do it.
>
>Is this a blanket requirement for all NIH research involving human subjects
>whether mentioned or not in the announcement?
>
>Thanks, as always . . .
>
>Val Seaquist
>Office of Research Administration
>The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
676 St. Clair
Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611