Re: NIH "Human Participants Protection Education for Research Teams" tutorial Jon Elizabeth Hart 21 Mar 2003 15:42 EST

Val,

The NIH regulation is that key personnel listed on a grant application who
are involved in human subjects research must undergo training in the
protection of human subjects in research. (I believe this is stated in the
instructions for the 398 form, as well as on the NIH OER website.)  The
actual training necessary is up to the institution.  At Rockefeller, we
have a three-tiered system:  (1) for investigators conducting clinical
research (actual interaction with research volunteers), they must read the
Dunne/Chadwick manual, "Protecting Volunteers in Research" and pass the
test in the back of the book with an 85 or better.  (2) If bench scientists
are conducting human subjects research but are not in contact with research
volunteers (they are using blood/tissue samples, etc.), they have a choice
of passing the test in the manual, or of taking the NIH web tutorial and
printing out the certificate, which they supply to us.  (3) This is not
required for NIH grants, but for support staff who are involved in research
and may come in contact with research volunteers, we have them read a
selected portion of the Dunne/Chadwick manual.
The choice of methods is up to your institution, but it should be
appropriate to the research being conducted.

Joni.

At 02:22 PM 3/21/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>We have very few NIH proposals/awards so it is usually "first time/every
>time" for me when we do. It is my understanding that a PI proposing a
>project requiring use of human subjects must take the NIH on-line tutorial
>on this subject and send a copy of the resulting certificate with his/her
>proposal. (This is in addition to our internal human subjects board
>review/approval.) My PI can't find this requirement in his particular
>announcement so is questioning if he has to do it.
>
>Is this a blanket requirement for all NIH research involving human subjects
>whether mentioned or not in the announcement?
>
>Thanks, as always . . .
>
>Val Seaquist
>Office of Research Administration
>The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Jon Hart, Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave.-Box 82, NY, NY 10021-6399
tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
e-mail:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu