Re: faculty ignorance Charlie Hathaway 20 Mar 2003 10:12 EST

Describing academic researchers as "faculty types" probably betrays an adversarial attitude that while common, is not productive and may reflect misunderstanding on both sides.  This person did not deserve to get this grant.  She should have known better.  But the fault is shared by many: whether junior or senior, this person should have been better prepared.

When addressing faculty groups about grantsmanship and the help that my pre-award office can provide, I used to say that there was no such thing as a stupid question.  But honest questions derive from ignorance.  Now I say that sure, there are stupid questions, but we don't mind.

Charlie Hathaway

At 07:57 AM 3/20/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I had a faculty type who came in last Friday at 4:30 for a 5 pm deadline to IES.  She
>didn't have the .pdf created because she thought .pdf meant she was able to look at
>her work via Adobe Acrobat and neither one of us was familiar with the IES system.
>Her excuse was, the proposal opportunity just came up so, I did it.  Needless to
>say,  it didn't get very far.

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs