Re: National Geographic Society Committee for Research & Exploration Herbert B. Chermside 18 Mar 2003 16:17 EST

NGS's big moneymaker is, you guessed it, National Geographic
magazine.  They want to have, and control, rights for publication in their
non-scientific area.  Is you researcher willing to give that up for the grant?

Is the liability release any greater than the release you do for some other
non-profits, or than that which the federal tort claims act imposes of
federal grant recipients?  NGS is just making sure that if your researcher
gets injured or enslaved (or whatever is the big worry where he is working)
while undertaking the research, his lawyer won't come after NGS as a "deep
pocket" because the workman's comp which you provide to cover him does not
satisfy him.

Chuck

At 03:49 PM 3/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>Although we have had grants from NGS previously, we just got what I
>believe is our 1st award from the NGS Committee for Research &
>Exploration.  My primary concern is that while the award will be made to
>our institution, NGS-CRE requires the PI and project participants to
>sign away many of their rights to get the award, particularly in the
>area of non-scientiifc publishing and the area of liability release.
>
>I am looking for anyone's experience with these awards and how you
>handled these concerns.
>
>Thanks for your input.
>
>Steve Etheredge
>

>R. Steven Etheredge, Associate Director