Re: ? regarding InfoEd Herbert B. Chermside 18 Mar 2003 12:22 EST

We are using the InfoEd InfoOffice suite, which is web based. We are using
Proposal Tracking, Human Subjects, and Animal Subjects, and are looking
forward to the Proposal Prep module. We expect to install it in a very few
weeks, but we will bring it up (i.e., into general use) with all deliberate
speed -- gain enough experience working with a few who will be guinea pigs
until we are familiar enough to lead any PI through it. As far as Proposal
Prep is concerned, we have worked with InfoEd to resolve some research
administration problems and the security system, but they have gotten it
right.  As you can imagine, security is a complex matter: who can look at a
proposal, when?  Who can look at all the proposal/award records for a
department, for a school, etc.  Their system allows great flexibility in
this area.  But you should have Proposal Tracking up and running for a
while before you jump into Proposal Prep.  And to be honest, there is a
personnel cost in maintaining parts of the system -- but I think that will
just be reallocating duties, as the system cuts out some other duties.

Also, because more and more sponsors are bringing up their own electronic
proposal systems, InfoEd will be continually developing Proposal Prep so
its output can go electronically to the sponsor -- or, more to the point,
to the various sponsors with various input needs.

InfoOffice is an integrated system for preaward/Award. Later we will be
able to move award data electronically to G&C. There will also be a Project
Management module that presents accounting information in PI language on a
project by project basis on the web, but that will involve an interface
between our accounting system and InfoOffice.

We like what we have.   InfoOffice is now available on SQL and Oracle
databases.  InfoEd has been extremely responsive to us since the first
module was installed.  Some of PD's delay Joni refers to was their making
the review process and the security system right.  Just looked at it last
week, and it IS right, and very flexible.

General advice (some learned the hard way!)  Do Proposal Tracking
first.  Bring us compliance modules after PT, and work closely between
grants office (whatever you are called!) and compliance offices to get into
place office processes that allow you to cross reference between proposals
and IRB/IACUC.  The relationship can be one-to-one, one-to-many (max 99 --
of others have a need for more, I'm sure they can enhance; only our Cancer
Center Core is >99 so we treat as a special case), many-to-one, and
many-to-many.  BUT ONLY THE PI KNOWS!!!!, so make them provide the cross
references.  Get a few good months with PT before you try to bring Proposal
Prep up, and do that gradually.  I said that before; there are enough
different kinds of people who have to learn something different that it is
worth saying again!

All of the administrators here who have "view" access to PT love it!  We
provide some training before we let them have that view privilege, mostly
so they know what they are seeing rather than making misapprehensions.  As
soon as we have the new security system, which has more flexibility, we'll
expedite that.

We have not investigated the IP module, in part because certain
externalities require at least some use of an IP program that integrates
with nothing.

Chuck

At 11:14 AM 3/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>We too use InfoEd's SPIN, SMARTS/GENIUS, Proposal Tracking and Tech
>Transfer modules.  We are trying to get the Proposal Development
>(grantwriting) module online, but it has been delayed at InfoEd's end.
>
>I agree that they are a good bunch of folks, with a service attitude.  I
>have looked at many systems and, with all the inherent frustrations of
>using any software, I think they are still the best out there for our
>purposes.  They are more compliance and pre-award end aware, as compared to
>many systems that view grant programs as just a feed for the finance systems.
>
>Joni.
>

>At 10:42 AM 3/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
>>In the "for what it's worth" department, I had dealings with Infoed for
>>many years when I worked in the Office of Sponsored Programs at WVU. I
>>found them pleasant to work with and responsive to comments, complaints,
>>and problems. Yes, there were times I got a bit annoyed, but in general
>>a good group with a service attitude.
>>
>>Elsa Nadler
>>
>>Elsa G. Nadler
>>Research Coordinator
>>Department of Pediatrics
>>PO Box 9214
>>West Virginia University
>>Morgantown, WV 26506-9214
>>
>>Tel: 304/293-0720

>Jon Hart, Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
>The Rockefeller University
>1230 York Ave.-Box 82, NY, NY 10021-6399
>tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
>e-mail:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568