Re: ethics speaker suggestions Moreland, Kim 18 Mar 2003 12:09 EST

Spanky,

How are things in Arkansas??  I'm putting this suggestion on the listserv in
case anyone else is interested.  It's actually one of our own, Steve Hansen,
Dean of Graduate Studies at SIUE.  Steve has done a lot of work on ethics;
he's well aware of the myriad issues facing faculty, particularly those
trying to do research; his doctorate is in history, and that is where he
teaches.  Best of all, Steve is never boring!

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike McCallister [mailto:xxxxxx@UALR.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 6:31 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] ethics speaker suggestions

Next fall for our faculty development (a little training, a lot of
barbeque) day at the beginning of the semester, I'd like to have a
keynoter to talk about academic ethics.  There are a lot of areas in
research and curriculum development where faculty might need to
consider how changes in technology, among other things, are blurring
the lines, making it easy to step over the ethical line accidentally.
(I'm taking tact lessons.)  And, as we all know, there is a lot of
pressure from sponsors for us to get our acts straight, too.

So, if you have heard someone who can powerfully and non-boringly
speak  to this issue as a kick-off to a day of training sessions, I'd
hearing from you.

Thanks.

Spanky
--
Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs

"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, neat,
and wrong."
H.L. Mencken