Re: grant office deadlines Donna Berger 14 Mar 2003 12:12 EST

Bob,

We are generally flexible with internal deadlines when we are familiar with
the proposal and have the wherewithal to get it out the door, but there
have been  times when a  proposal was so late that we did not take
responsibility for review, routing or submission.    We found that rushing
a proposal through our internal approval process often backfired on our
office -- either because we would fail to notice problems with the proposal
or because the last minute rushing around was misinterpreted by other
administrators as a lack of organization on our part.   We were also
finding that the more we bent over backwards (coming in on weekends and
working late nights),  the more time some people would take in getting
their proposals to us and the harder we would have to work. Now we tell PIs
that if the proposal is past the internal deadline that  we will help as
best we can, but that there are no guarantees that it will be submitted.
On a few occasions, the PI has had to mail or deliver the proposal.  If the
proposal has to be delivered overnight, the PI's department picks up the
tab. Otherwise we do.  Since we help PIs with proposal development and do
the budgets for them, our PIs know that the earlier they come here, the
more help we can give them. If we stuck strictly to our internal timelines,
our job would be easier, but we would probably have very few proposals to
process!

Donna Berger
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

 BOB
 <xxxxxx@UMICH.ED        To:       xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 U>                       cc:
 Sent by: Research        Subject:  [RESADM-L] grant office deadlines
 Administration
 List
 <xxxxxx@HRINET.

 03/12/2003 02:40
 PM
 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List

Just for the record, I would really like to know,

Has any grants office submitted a proposal that violated your deadline
rules?  Or on the other side, has any grants office refused to submit a
proposal due to timing, as long as there was time to actually send it?
Even it it meant a little work past 5pm.

Sorry Professor Smith, you did not get your proposal to us x days prior to
the submission date so we will not send it?  or x hours before we close.

Are day or days in advance deadlines by grants offices enforced?  If not by
rejection of submission, how?

Bob Beattie
Managing Project Representative for eRA
The University of Michigan
xxxxxx@umich.edu

--On Wednesday, March 12, 2003 1:24 PM -0600 "Wasserman, Sarah W"