Re: Electronic proposal lead time Herbert B. Chermside 13 Mar 2003 09:21 EST

VCU is facing similar problems.  We find that an electronic proposal that
must be submitted from the central office takes more time to "make right"
than a paper proposal.  This is exacerbated by the fact that some of the
electronic acceptance systems will reject some kinds of forms unless they
are "perfect".  One example: a Greek letter symbol was in a title --
perfectly acceptable on paper, and maybe scientifically required to make
sense -- but the electronic receiver kept giving a "hidden quotes"
rejection; drove us up the wall!

Our turnaround time for a "perfect" proposal -- a few small flaws that PI
can correct (we return signed proposals to PI for submittal) -- is 2
working days.

For the recent Congressionally Directed... deadline, we asked each PI to
give us a MINIMUM of 3 working days.

We are going to bring on line an electronic proposal preparation
system.  Gradually, and with careful hand holding until we all know how it
works in detail!  But if the PI "releases" for central review at the last
minute, there may well be other than small flaws, and take more review
time.  However, this Proposal Prep we are installing requires department
and school review BEFORE release to central office, which may help.  Also,
central office can make those small flaw corrections.  We have no idea how
much time this will take for review and interaction with PI's, yet.  I note
that the externally imposed electronic submissions do not have lower level
reviews built in.

We may have to make 3 days a minimum, and 4 or 5 for electronic submissions.

The problem is not yours alone, and there are as yet no best practices --
can't be, because each new electronic submission is different from the
last!   For the moment we are doing the best we can, and may have to be
formal about longer lead time needs!

Chuck

At 08:53 AM 3/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>While all of us have preferred lead times (in our case, 3 days) for
>receiving proposals in our office, we have been experiencing more angst
>than usual as more and more agencies have gone to electronic submission.
>(And we thought eRA would make our jobs easier!)  We are a large
>institution and will submit approximately 1,700 proposals this year.  We
>are finding that our PI's normal behavior of getting many proposals to
>us on the actual day of required electronic submission is creating
>significant issues with non-user friendly e-grant systems, such as DOE,
>along with slow agency server response on due dates.  We are being
>pushed to the limits in getting these e-proposals submitted before the
>deadline.
>
>My questions relate to whether your institution has developed
>guidelines to deal specifically with proposals that require electronic
>submission.  We are contemplating putting such a policy in place.  Your
>input will be appreciated.
>
>Steve Etheredge
>Associate Director
>

>R. Steven Etheredge, Associate Director