Re: Electronic proposal lead time Elaine Young 12 Mar 2003 09:13 EST

We don't have any special policy - other than to remind the faculty that
when the sponsor's server gets overloaded, their application may be delayed
if they wait until the last minute.  This has happened several times with
NSF.

Having said that, we still get those who wait until 4:58 pm of the day it's
due.

Elaine

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Steven Etheredge
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:53 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Electronic proposal lead time

Dear Colleagues:

While all of us have preferred lead times (in our case, 3 days) for
receiving proposals in our office, we have been experiencing more angst
than usual as more and more agencies have gone to electronic submission.
(And we thought eRA would make our jobs easier!)  We are a large
institution and will submit approximately 1,700 proposals this year.  We
are finding that our PI's normal behavior of getting many proposals to
us on the actual day of required electronic submission is creating
significant issues with non-user friendly e-grant systems, such as DOE,
along with slow agency server response on due dates.  We are being
pushed to the limits in getting these e-proposals submitted before the
deadline.

My questions relate to whether your institution has developed
guidelines to deal specifically with proposals that require electronic
submission.  We are contemplating putting such a policy in place.  Your
input will be appreciated.

Steve Etheredge
Associate Director

R. Steven Etheredge, Associate Director