Re: NIH stipend schedule Charlie Hathaway 10 Mar 2003 15:35 EST

Amy-

I think you are right: postdocs not on NRSA grants need not be payed according to the schedule.

We ask investigators to pay a postdoc AT LEAST the minimum on the NIH scale (0 years experience) and encourage them to follow the scale according to experience.

I think that if the scientific community fails to keep increasing postdoc salaries/stipends it is being incredibly short-sighted.  There are so many reasons other than stipends that keep bright and energetic people from trying to make academic research a career.  We have to pay them enough to live.

Charlie Hathaway

At 12:08 PM 3/10/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all-
>I've been asked by the budget makers whether we are required to pay our
>postdocs (paid from either grants or institution funds) according to the NIH
>stipend schedule
>http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-03-033.html.
>
>From what I can tell, the stipend schedule is created as a guideline for the
>NIH training grants, and is not a required pay scale for all postdocs.  The
>only salary requirement is that we charge salaries in a consistent manner
>(not charge more for grant personnel than we would for institutional
>personnel).
>
>Is this correct?  Does anyone else pay institutionally supported postdocs
>according to the NIH stipend scale?  The FY03 increase is going to throw our
>budget out of whack, and we're trying to research all options.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>-Amy
>

>Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what
>no one else has thought.
>-Albert von Nagyrapolt
>
>Amy Hibbard
>Grants Administrator
>Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
>535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
>T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
>F: (909) 607-8086
>xxxxxx@kgi.edu
>www.kgi.edu

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs