Re: Foreign Sub Luc Simon 06 Mar 2003 09:57 EST

Of course a foreign entity that applies as a subcontractor should be
responsible for knowing which regulations COULD be applied to it !

Technically, the subcontractor might have already filed an assurance with
OHRP if the research involves human subjects. Other than that, the
obligations should be specified in the subcontract because by default, a
foreign entity has to abide by the applicable local law, and then only to
whatever agreed to contractually.

I have been involved in a number of subcontract agreements, and I did learn
a lot during fruitful discussions with research managers from various US
institutions. As colleagues, we appreciate that our role is to make sure
that we can cooperate as effectively on the "administrative issues" as
researchers from our respective institutions collaborate on the "scientific
issues".

If only as a courtesy, it would indeed be nice if administrators from the
foreign entity were provided with a comprehensible subcontract that clearly
states what is expected in term of reports, disclosures, assurances, etc...
As mentioned bu Chuck, an honest look at what does not apply to foreign
entities is well worthwhile.

As with many things in life, the first time around is quite something, and
with experience comes confidence !

Regards,

Luc Simon

=========