Re: Foreign Sub Herbert B. Chermside 05 Mar 2003 14:58 EST

Recommend that you treat a foreign recipient with no experience with NIH as
fully unknowledgable.  Be explicit about applicable regulations, and
provide URL's.  Also inform them as to what does not apply; you need to
know that anyway to ensure proper monitoring of them.  You will have to add
some clauses to your agreement to handle special matters.  The NIH GPM is a
start place, but give them CFR's and OMB Circulars, too.  And specify that
"requests to the sponsor agency" come to you, not NIH.

 From experience, I also recommend that you include a clause warranting
that the individual who sign the agreement has the authority to execute on
behalf of the institution.

Chuck

At 01:34 PM 3/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>A foreign subcontractor wants to say that it will comply only with  those
>"federal laws provided to it by us"!  If a foreign entity applies as a
>subcontractor, shouldn't it be responsible for knowing which regulations
>apply to it?
>
>Should we just refer them to the "dot gov" web site and tell them all the
>regs they need are on there?!
>
>Since it's an NIH sub, is the NIH Grants Policy Manual comprehensive enough?
>
>You may reply directly to me at xxxxxx@utmem.edu
>
>Thanks!
>
>Debbie Smith
>
>Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith, Ed.D.